“She began to curl her hair and long for balls”Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
Greeting Barbarian! Long days and pleasant nights!
I love it when women compliment my balls – meatball that is! Gentlemen, especially the young ones – you have got to know your way around the kitchen. Not only that it is an important survival skill, but the ladies also seem to find it sexy. Now, you do not have to be a Michelin star or a celebrity chef to cook. With a little bit of flair and know-how, you would be soon making meals for you and for others.
Simple and hearty, that is what best describe a great meatball spaghetti. It’s comfort food at best, and I do not see the need for anything fancy or complex. Great for meals all by yourself or when having “Trish from accounting” over.
There are tons of recipe online, so feel free to go all through them. For me, this recipe is what makes up for a simple and hearty meatball spaghetti. The ingredients are simple common grocery and public market items making it accessible.
- ● ½ lb ground beef
- ● ½ lb ground pork
- ● ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ● ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ● 1 cup finely ground Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (grocery Parmesan, would be ok)
- ● 1 egg
- ● 1 Tbsp. finely minced onion
- ● 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ● 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ● Salt and pepper to taste
- ● 1 onion, finely minced
- ● 3 carrots, grated
- ● 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ● 1 bay leaf
- ● 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ● 1 cup of dry red wine
- ● 1 can (28oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ● 1 can (28oz.) whole tomatoes
- ● 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ● Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Knead the mixture by hand until well incorporated, avoid overworking the meat.
- Clean and oil your hands with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Shape your meatballs into golf-ball size portions and place them on a flat surface.
- Preheat a saucepan over medium heat with oil. Add meatballs into a single layer, do not overcrowd the pan. Brown meatballs on all sides until crusts are formed. Remove meatballs and set aside to rest.
- On the same pan, sauté onions and carrots until tender. Then add your garlic and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and stir to incorporate all the flavors.
- Once incorporated, deglaze the pot by adding 1 cup of red wine and scrape the bits sticking at the bottom of the pan. Allow the liquid to reduce by half, before adding the tomatoes. Crush any huge chunks of tomatoes and bring the sauce to a slow simmer.
- Add the browned meatballs back into the sauce to cook, let the sauce return to a slow simmer and cover. Lower the heat and allow the meatballs to cook through for 10-15 mins. While waiting for the meatballs, cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Serve, top with extra Parmesan and garnish with a sprinkle of parsley. Enjoy!
There you have it, a simple and hearty meatball spaghetti. But do not just take my word for it, try the recipe or better yet – try other fantastic recipes out there. The important thing is that we, gentlemen; should be able to take care of ourselves. Cooking is a life, social, survival, and mating skill all rolled into one. Food is essential for survival and it is often intimate; I do not see any reason not to learn how to cook. Master a few recipes and be good at the rest. What is important is that we no longer have to rely on our moms, our wives and worst; to fast-food takeout. Capisce? Now, go out there and impress them with your balls.
To COURAGE and FREEDOM!
Follow us on Social Media!
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/MrABlogger
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/mrablogger